Ethernet Frequently Asked Questions
View all questions and answers.
- What is Business Ethernet?MegaPath Business Ethernet is a cost-effective solution for connecting your business to the Internet and extending your Local and Wide Area Network. This solution uses a reliable copper loop bonding technology to deliver a single symmetrical connection—with upload and download speeds of up to 135 Mbps. MegaPath also offers economical, asymmetrical Ethernet services which are ideal for business locations that have much more intensive downstream than upstream bandwidth demands. MegaPath Business Ethernet is easy to install and manage because it uses existing infrastructure.
- Will the bandwidth fluctuate depending on upload or download?MegaPath’s Ethernet over Copper (EoC) and Ethernet over DS1 (EoDS1) services deliver dedicated, symmetrical bandwidth with speeds up to 135 Mbps.
- How is the installation handled?Installation for Business Ethernet is very similar to installing a T1 connection. MegaPath coordinates the entire installation and then hands off a finished circuit.
- How is Business Ethernet different from Bonded T1 technology?MegaPath’s Ethernet over Copper (EoC) and Ethernet over DS1 (EoDS1) services share the same business-class SLAs as a T1 line, but offer higher bandwidths at a lower cost, partially due to the efficiency of the technology. Unlike T1 lines, these Ethernet services use Ethernet First Mile (EFM) bonding techniques, which provide for a more resilient service offering ensuring that if one loop in a bundle fails the remaining circuits will continue to function. Business Ethernet is also easier, faster, and less expensive to scale than a T1 line usually without a change required in equipment.
- Is Voice available over Business Ethernet?Yes, you can add MegaPath Voice service to most Business Ethernet services. With our true Quality of Service (QoS), your voice quality is protected and guaranteed. When Voice service is combined with MegaPath broadband, it is delivered over MegaPath’s MPLS-enabled, all-optical IP network, ensuring the highest Quality of Service (QoS) for superior voice quality.
- What is Proactive Monitoring?
This advanced hosted monitoring service helps ensure your network health receives the highest level of attention from MegaPath’s Network Operations Center. Proactive Monitoring enables MegaPath to constantly check the status of your network—24/7/365—to maximize the availability and minimize the mean time to restore your connectivity should an issue arise.
Proactive Monitoring enables MegaPath to resolve issues before you are aware of them and takes the guesswork out of your network’s health. It increases the availability SLA of symmetrical Ethernet services to 100%.
To perform the monitoring, MegaPath continuously pings your network to evaluate its availability. If we detect an issue, we will automatically contact you via email, create a trouble ticket, and quickly work to resolve the issue and minimize your network downtime—all without you having to take any action, which is particularly valuable if an issue occurs during off hours.
Benefits of Proactive Monitoring
- Improved availability
- 24/7/365 network health monitoring
- Automatic notification of network issues
- Automatic trouble ticket submission
- Reduced issue-resolution times
- How does Business Ethernet cost compare to a T1?Business Ethernet is one of the most cost-effective ways to deliver access. Where available, Ethernet provides greater bandwidth than a T1 or Bonded T1 at a lower cost. Take advantage of our special promotional pricing on our most popular Ethernet speeds. MegaPath offers symmetrical speeds from 2x2 up to 135x135 Mbps, and asymmetrical speeds up to 50x10 Mbps in select markets.
- Where is Business Ethernet available?MegaPath Business Ethernet is available in 50 major metropolitan markets including: Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Cleveland, Dallas, Denver, Detroit, Houston, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Miami, Minneapolis, New Jersey/New York, Philadelphia, Phoenix, San Francisco, Seattle, and Washington D.C.
- What kinds of backup access services do you offer?The same great fast, reliable, and affordable business-class Internet solutions from MegaPath are available as a managed failover solution. MegaPath’s Wireless and Broadband Managed Failover Services detect access issues with your primary wireline connection and automatically switch traffic to the backup connection to keep you connected and your business working. With Proactive Monitoring and Failover services, the availability SLA for symmetrical Ethernet services increases to 100% so you can be assured of business continuity. Learn more (PDF) >>