SIP Trunking FAQs
View all questions and answers.
- What is SIP Trunking?SIP Trunking is a cost-effective way to provide voice and data services for businesses with an existing IP PBX. SIP Trunking combines voice and data over the same DSL, T1, or Ethernet circuit. Voice and data services share a single dynamic connection for optimal bandwidth efficiency. Key benefits of SIP Trunking include substantial cost savings over traditional PRIs, low long-distance rates, more efficient bandwidth usage, and optional advanced IP features.
- What is Enterprise Trunking? Enterprise Trunking is MegaPath’s SIP Trunking solution for multi-location businesses. It offers all of the advantages of SIP Trunking plus free on-net calling and shared call capacity between business locations.
- Does MegaPath use Voice Compression?With most types of connectivity, MegaPath uses G.729 as the primary voice codec for its SIP Trunking service. This codec allows for a significant reduction in per-call bandwidth usage when compared to channelized PRIs or G.711, which are common with other integrated access providers. G.729 delivers more available bandwidth for data usage; it allows you to support your voice and data needs with fewer bandwidth circuits, which reduces your costs.
- What is Dynamic bandwidth allocation?When customers purchase MegaPath SIP Trunking and broadband access, MegaPath can automatically adjust the amount of bandwidth dedicated to voice and data in real time. When the phones are idle, you can access the full bandwidth for data. When calls are made or received, your bandwidth is reallocated to voice services for as long as users are on the phone.
- How does MegaPath SIP Trunking work? MegaPath SIP Trunking combines voice and data onto a single IP connection, eliminating the need for separate phone lines, which results in savings up to 50% over traditional phone lines. MegaPath SIP Trunking can be purchased as a stand-alone solution or customers can bring their own broadband. MegaPath SIP Trunking service includes standard calling features—such as e911 emergency calling, DID service, and toll free numbers—and enables advanced Hosted Voice/IP-Centrex functionality—such as auto attendants, and audio conferencing.
- What are the benefits of MegaPath's SIP Trunking over a different provider?The primary benefits of MegaPath SIP Trunking are the cost savings compared to traditional phone company services and the overall improved usage of bandwidth. When combining SIP Trunking with MegaPath connectivity, customers gain access to our nationwide MPLS-enabled, all-optical IP network, ensuring the highest Quality of Service (QoS).
- Is the faxing service compatible with my fax machine?Yes, MegaPath's faxing works with all analog fax machines.